Jennifer Jackson, Rehabilitation Consultant, CommInsure, has been awarded this year’s prestigious ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship for her outstanding essay on genetic testing. In her thoughtful and well researched paper, Jennifer highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of the Australian life insurance industry’s current approach to this issue, how other comparable countries are choosing to handle this issue and provided well researched recommendations on how we as an industry should respond.
Jennifer receives an overseas conference package valued at up to AU$8,000 including return travel, accommodation, $1,000 cash and registration to one of the following conferences in the USA of her choice:
- 2018 Eastern Claims Conference - 6-8 May 2018, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- 2018 LOMA Life Insurance Conference - 9-11 April 2018, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- 2018 Supplemental Health and Protection Forum - 6-8 August 2018, Mission Valley, San Diego, USA
In addition to the major prize, Jennifer will be invited to sit on the judging panel alongside senior industry leaders for next year’s scholarship and receives automatic membership to ALUCA and TurksLegal’s scholarship alumni program, Life Insurance Future Thinking (LIFT).
The 1st runner-up was, Carola Moore, Claims L&D Manager, AMP for her paper on Getting the Capabilities Right. Carola wins an AU$1,000 Visa pre-paid gift card. The 2nd runner-up was Amanda Cruikshank, Rehabilitation Consultant, AIA for her paper on Bringing the Benefits of the Return to Work Philosophy to Superannuation. Amanda wins a AU$250 restaurant voucher.
The Scholarship winners were announced at the ALUCA Professional Development Day held in Sydney on 17 October 2017.
The 2018 ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship will open in July 2018.
2017 Judging Panel
The judging panel comprised the following senior industry professionals:
- Damien Mu, CEO, AIA
- Devi Uka, Deputy Chair, ALUCA
- Gavin Pearce, Managing Director, Insurance, ANZ Wealth Australia
- Malcolm Weir, General Manager, Customer Services, CommInsure
- Linda Winterbottom, Claims Rehabilitation Consultant, RGA Reinsurance
- Brett Clark, Group Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, TAL
- Nick Wendon, Product Manager, Macquarie Group (2016 Scholarship winner)
- John Myatt, Partner and Practice Head of Insurance & Financial Services, TurksLegal
- Alph Edwards, Partner, TurksLegal
- Darryl Pereira, Partner, TurksLegal
About the Scholarship
Now in its 11th year, the ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship is designed to support the professional growth of ALUCA and its members by providing a significant career development opportunity for professionals working in the life insurance industry.
2016 Winner and Runners-Up
Nick Wendon, Product Manager, Macquarie Group (formerly Insurance Manager (Superannuation), AMP) was awarded the 2016 ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship for his outstanding essay focused on creating a sustainable insurance design in Superannuation. Click here to watch a video interview with Nick.
The 1st runner-up was, Christine Gan, Senior Manager, CommInsure (formerly Hannover Life Re Australia) for her paper on Mental Health Underwriting and Antidiscrimination. The 2nd runner-up was Elizabeth Haddow-Allen, Senior Rehabilitation Consultant, CommInsure for her paper on TPD in an Era of Change.
Here are links to the winning papers: